Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Coachella Line-Up Review

So for the second year in a row, the Coachella festival falls on my birthday, and today the line-up was announced. Last year I happened to be going to Disneyworld over the same weekend. This year, April 15th is my deadline for submitting a deposit to hold a seat in the class of 2013 at "xxxxxxxx law school." So maybe I will do that and then take a vacation that I think I deserve. I had said that if Pavement were announced, I would make an effort to be there for it. Pavement may play Pitchfork in July as well, but I would happily see them twice. (I would happily follow them around, a la Deadheads, Phish-heads, String Cheese-heads, Widespread Panic-heads, et. al.).

The purpose of this post is to see if the number of bands I would like to see eclipses that of last year's--sadly, I do not think it does. Day 2 sort of sucks. But the line-up on day 3 is killer.

Bands I would like to see if I go to Coachella:
Fri, April 16: Jay-Z (headliner), LCD Soundsystem (an inspired selection given that they have been quiet for a while now), Them Crooked Vultures (only because Foo Fighters are not playing), Vampire Weekend (if nothing better was going on at the time), Public Image Ltd. (who knows if they'll suck or not, but a very inspired selection!), Passion Pit (seem like a fun band), Echo and the Bunnymen (yes!), She & Him (Zooey...can we be friends?), The Dillinger Escape Plan (because nothing else here even approaches violence).

Sat, April 17 (my b-day): Faith No More (pseudo-headliner, and I am more interested in them than Muse, but not by that much), The Dead Weather (see Them Crooked Vultures and substitute White Stripes for Foo Fighters), Hot Chip (know next to nothing by them, but see Passion Pit), Devo (just because), the Gossip (to see what all the fuss is about), The xx (because I spent $15 on their album), John Waters (???), Mew (if nothing better were going on...), Camera Obscura (one of 2 can't miss bands this day), Girls (the other one), Beach House (if I wanted to fall asleep)

Sun, April 18 (potentially the best single concert day of the year): Pavement (reminiscent of the last time I went to Coachella in 2004--with Pixies and Radiohead back-to-back), Thom Yorke ???? (not sure if that means Radiohead or what, but I'd see him anyways), Phoenix (see the Gossip), Spoon (new album out today, though they don't have the best live reputation), Julian Casablancas (see Them Crooked Vultures and Dead Weather and substitute for the Strokes, who should be playing anyways), Sunny Day Real Estate (the secret reason this day is so awesome), Yo La Tengo (never fail to intrigue), Deerhunter (didn't even see their name until now), King Khan & the Shrines (seem like one of the most fun bands to see currently playing)---and I am leaving out a few massive ones that I am messed up for not caring that much about.

So, the final count this year is 29. This includes a few I really don't care that much about. Compare to 26 last year http://flyinghouses.blogspot.com/2009/01/bands-i-would-see-if-i-were-going-to.html and then take into account that those 26 are, by and large, way cooler. However, the price is the same, so give them credit for not being extortionist.

No comments: